Monday, July 2, 2012

"Get off the internet! I need to make a phone call!"


Computer lab hours were always my favorite treat in elementary school.  We each had our own floppy disc to save our files.  The paper still had the perforated edges, with tiny holes on the side to align with the printer.  During those glorious hours the biggest decision we had to make was whether to play Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego or Oregon Trail (my personal go-to).  And at the end of the day, if little Jimmy died of typhoid fever or if an eagle took Sue, it didn’t matter because we got to play on computers.

However, the article written by Bill Sheskey, Creating Learning Connections with Today’s Tech-Savvy Student really made me think --- what did I learn about technology in school?

According to Marc Prensky and Sheskey, I am a “digital native.”  I grew up during the fast pace evolution of technology.  I remember when the first Gameboy came out, when Sega stopped producing Genesis, and the glorious moment when cell phones could fit in a person’s pocket and the screens were in color.  Those moments really weren’t that long ago, ok, I confess: I still think as if the 90’s were only ten years ago.  But it seemed that after the big hurdles were made with technology (mostly in the late 80’s/90’s), it had exploded so quickly that I could barely keep up.  How did the gap between me and technology widen?

I wasn’t being taught with technology in school.  Beyond my Oregon Trail days, I rarely saw technology utilized within my classrooms.  When I graduated from high school, the entire school district was still using the old iMac G3, a model that was released in 1998.  I graduated in 2006.

Ideas mentioned by Sheskey, like bringing a computer monitor to a projection screen or using a digital camera to add an extra element to a class was never a part of my middle or high school classrooms.  As a result, if I didn’t seek out technology on my own time I was not going to be exposed to it in any other way.  And that was how the gap widened. 

As a teacher, taking the initiative to utilize technology in a classroom is crucial with present day students.  Sheskey points out, “…the young people today are digital natives,’ they will be equipped to launch the process of change in the classroom.”  Teaching is at a virtual cross roads, where as educators we need to find a better and more effective way to relate to these students who are fluent in constant stimulus and readily accessible knowledge.  Without technology, students will continue to keep the arenas of classroom and tech separate.  Gaps will continue to widen.  And worst of all, educators are missing out on a really valuable lesson on how to teach students how to utilize the web, and how to manage their ‘virtual citizenship.’

So here I am, trying this blog thing, and attempting to keep up to date on all the apps and social networking sites out there.  I don’t do this because I enjoy it; though I am a “digital native,” I’m still in the colonial days.  But I do these things in order to relate to other people, especially the younger people.    

   


7 comments:

  1. I think your comments are really interesting. I'm also really young and I find myself confused about how to use different sites that are really popular nowadays (twitter took me forever to figure out, and I'm still not really sure what springforum is). It's kind of scary how fast we grow "out of the loop" when it comes to technology.

    Your posting made me think about how it is unfortunate that some schools have access to the newest technology while others are left in the dust. When I visited my friends in Japan during high school the school I went to had added MacBooks to their inventory--there were 150-200 of them for students to "rent" during school. I was awe-struck. My high school would never have something like that. I wonder if your teachers in middle school and high school didn't want to use technology, or simply couldn't because they didn't have any way to bring it into their classrooms. This will definitely bear weight on how we use (or don't use) technology in our classrooms.

    PS. Your blog is super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea,
    Good insights and comments about your evolving experiences with technology. I think we're on the beginning of a very exciting journey and I'm excited about what this class can bring - not only related to classroom teaching but also from the perspective of personal enhancement and applications to many other avenues.
    Learning from younger people can be very rewarding and inspiring. I'm often in awe of what those who have grown up in the digital generation can accomplish.
    I'm looking forward to this class and learning with you and all of our colleagues.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I appreciate that you mentioned such historic technology. I feel like I'm in the same boat. I definitely agree that technology moves at a much faster rate than any of us can and it's hard for us to keep up. I feel like "digital native" is a relative term, dependent on time. Although we all started out as natives in some ways, we have not assimilated into the new digital age. I think you did a great job of expressing that.

    I like that you are trying these new things to connect with others. Do you think you could enjoy it as well? I feel sometimes when we try new things, it's uncertain whether it's our "style", but if you gave yourself the chance, do you think it'll be something you'll embrace? Maybe not all the technologies, but a few. There's a lot out there.

    PS - that sound clip you put in was awesome... ah, the good "old" days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaza,
      As Sheskey mentioned, and what we had discussed last in class, students now are more apt to having multiple technological stimulus occurring all at once. And I just don't think I am there yet. Blogs, tumblr, flickr, Facebook, twitter, google plus, and all the other growing networks are tough for me to figure out. They are also difficult for me to keep up with. I think I just need to get back into the practice of having my computer open and using it for more than just school work. Hopefully I'll get there soon! And I'm sure I'll find something I like... eventually.
      Thank you for your input!

      Delete
  4. I loved your references to what your experience with technology in school was. I too recall the good ol days of dial up, oregon trail, and mavis beacon teaches typing...

    I am trying to recall my own tech education from early school days, and we had to pass a typing class, showing improvement in our wpm (with the keyboard covered!). Did the class actually teach me typing skills? The answer was no. Did chatting on AIM with my friends regularly for enjoyment and social gratification? Yes.

    I wonder how we can harness student learning of technology in this way in our current day and age? Get them to develop skills and knowledge we want them to know, while making it seem fun and somehow, un-school like. We know students use tech on their own time for enjoyment outside of school, I wonder about new possibilities if we start with this framework of integrating more tech in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelsea, I love how you mentioned Oregon Trail. Seriously. To me, that IS the main memory of technology in school when I was growing up.

    I actually think it's okay if you consider to not be there yet in terms of keeping up on all the different social networks. I know I'm not. The number and type is overwhelming. With everything we do in our lives, there's really no way we can stay on top of that.

    I think there's a definite role for technology in the classroom and even certain aspects of social networking. Do I know what that aspect is yet? No, but I'm hoping like many other of us, I'll figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a digital native. I got my first IM my freshman year in 2001 and didn't see the benefits of email in HS nor learning to type (boy was I wrong!)

    There are too many social networks to keep up with-but I plan to try via my students-they wil keep me updated on those types of technologies and Ill concentrate on the strictly educational ones!

    ReplyDelete